Activity Guides for Parents and Children
- Nature with Children of All Ages: Activities and Adventures for Exploring, Learning, and Enjoying the World Around Us. Edith A. Sisson. (1982.) Prentice Hall Press.
- Hug a Tree: And Other Things to do Outdoors with Young Children. Robert E. Rockwell, Elizabeth A. Sherwood, Robert A. Williams. (1983.) Gryphon House, Inc.
- The Harvest Craft Book. Thomas Berger. (1992.) Floris Books.
- Magic Wool: Creative Activities with Natural Sheep’s Wool. Dagmar Schmidt, Freya Jaffke. (1993.) Floris Books.
- Trails, Tails, & Tide-pools in Pails: Over 100 Nature Based Activities for Families with Babies and Young Children. By the Docents of Nursery Nature Walks. (1992.) Nursery Nature Walks.
- Toad Cottages & Shooting Stars: Grandma’s Bag of Tricks. Sharon Lovejoy. (2009.) Workman Publishing.
- Dinner from Dirt: ten meals kids can grow and cook. Emily Scott & Catherine Duffy.
- Teaching kids to Love the Earth. Marina Lachecki, Joseph Passineau, Ann Linnea, Paul Treuer
- Native American Games and Stories. James Bruchas and Joseph Bruchac.
- The Little hands Nature Book: Earth, Sky, Critters & More. Nancy Fusco Castaldo.
- The Children’s Year. Stephanie Cooper, Chritien Fynes-Clinton & Marye Rowling
- Lens on Outdoor Learning. Wendy Banning, Ginny Sullivan.
- Simple Environmental Activities for Young Children: Earthways. Carl Petrash.
- My First Nature Book: A life-size guide to discovering the world around you
Parenting and Child Development
- Your One-Year-Old through Your Twelve-Year-Old. Louise Bates Ames, Ph.D., Frances L. Ilg, M.D., Carol Chase Haber, M.A. (1982.) Dell Publishing.
- Parenting from the Inside Out: How a Deeper Self-Understanding can Help you Raise Children Who Thrive. Daniel J. Siegel, M.D., Mary Hartzell, M.Ed. (2003.) Penguin Books.
- Play: How it Shapes the Brain, Opens the Imagination, and Invigorates the Soul. Stuart Brown, M.D., with Christopher Vaughan. (2009.) Penguin Books.
- Self-Esteem: A Family Affair. Jean Illsley Clarke. (1978.) Harper & Row.
- Nokken, A Garden for Children: A Danish Approach to Waldorf-Based Child Care. Helle Heckmann. A Center for Anthroposophy.
- Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder. Richard Louv. (2006.) Algonquin Books.
- Nature’s Playground: Activities, Crafts, and Games to Encourage Children to Get Outdoors. Fiona Danks, Jo Schofield. (2005.) Frances Lincoln Limited.
- Coyote’s Guide to Connecting with Nature. Jon Young, Ellen Haas, Evan McGown. (2010.) Owlink Media Corporation.
- The Encyclopedia of Tracks & Scats: A comprehensive Guide to the Trackable Animals of the United States and Canada. Len McDougall. (2004.) The Lyons Press.
- What the Robin Knows: How Bird Reveal the Secrets of the Natural World. Jon Young.
Thank you to Wendolyn Bird, Director of Tender Tracks Outdoor Preschool for many book recommendations on this list!